If you’re looking for a new DAW, or perhaps just want to try out audio editing without paying, here’s your chance. PreSonus just announced that they have released a free version of their audio software Studio One. Simply download the installer from the Studio One website, install it and you’re good to go.
Once installed you can choose to run it in free mode for as long as you like, try the Studio One 2 Professional Demo for 30 days or simply upgrade to the full version of Artist, Producer or Professional. You don’t even have to reinstall anything.
It’s not without limitations though. The professional sound editor/musician might feel that the free version is not enough to decide whether it’s good enough to buy. I was disappointed to find that the following wasn’t included:
- The option to add extra plugins besides those already included
- Video playback
- Compressor, gate, limiter and spectrum meter
Still, the audio community is not really spoiled when it comes to free software and this is a welcome contribution to the few available options. Sometimes it feels like Audacity is the only choice, but with the addition of Studio One Free you can look forward to these features:
- Unlimited number of tracks
- 8 effects including chorus, reverb, delay and distortion
- Real-time audio time-stretching and resampling
- Presence Sample Player
- Key Commands from Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic – or create your own
PreSonus Studio One Free is available for MAC and 32/64-bit Windows.